Alcohol poisoning/overdose

Generally people do not automatically think of alcohol when they think of overdose, but alcohol is a depressant and it is all too possible to overdose on it. Acute alcohol poisoning, which is usually a result of binge drinking, is an example.

Our bodies can process about one unit of alcohol an hour. If you drink a lot quickly the amount of alcohol in your bloodstream (blood alcohol concentration, or BAC) may become dangerously high, which can stop your body from working properly. In extreme cases, alcohol poisoning could stop you breathing, stop your heart or cause you to choke on your own vomit.

Signs of alcohol intoxication to the point of overdose include:

  • disorientation
  • loss of coordination
  • vomiting
  • seizures
  • irregular or slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute)
  • blue-tinged or pale skin
  • low body temperature (hypothermia)
  • stupor (being conscious but unresponsive)
  • unconsciousness (passing out).​